Cosign a Private Student Loan
Help your student earn their dream degree.
With your established credit history, you can help a student get the education they deserve. After your student verifies their eligibility, they can invite you as a cosigner. So send them the link below, and let them know you've got their back (and so do we).earnest.com/student-loans
Benefits of Earnest student loans for cosigners
- 2-minute eligibility check
- Your own account to track application status and loan progress
- Unlike Parent PLUS loans, no fees for origination, disbursement, or anything else
- 9-month grace period (3 months more than most lenders)
- Expert support from our Client Happiness team
- 0.25% Auto Pay discount
Who is eligible to cosign an Earnest private student loan?
Generally speaking, a student loan cosigner is a creditworthy adult who is equally responsible for paying back the loan. This person is often a parent, but can also be another family member, guardian, etc.
Please keep in mind our minimum eligibility criteria for cosigners:
- A U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- 3+ years of good credit history
- A minimum credit score of 650
- No history of bankruptcy
- Minimum yearly income of $35,000 (in USD)
- Resident of Washington, D.C. or one of the states we lend in (all but AK, CT, DE, HI, IL, KY, NH, NV, OH, TX, VA)
View full eligibility details on our Eligibility page.
Common questions about being a student loan cosigner
As a cosigner, you’ll share the same responsibility for paying back the loan as the student (primary borrower). Both the cosigner and student can build their credit with repayment of the loan, but likewise any missed payments can impact both credit reports.
You’ll have access to an online loan dashboard to set up payments, access loan documents and view loan details.
We do not offer the option to release a cosigner from the loan. You (the cosigner) and your student will be responsible for the loan until it is paid off.